Frankly speaking, despite the fact that Emery did bring quality players (e.g. Leno, Sokratis, Torreira) to the Emirates, as an Arsenal fan, I’d say, the club’s transfer business is all but a work in progress.
The Spaniard basically solved the goalkeeping problem and helped to clear the “dead woods” of the squad, yet it was not enough. To become a potential title contender again, there is still stuff which needs to get done and positions to be filled in.
- The centre-back position. Sokratis is okay but still needs time to improve. Mustafi can score goals but his defending skills are awful. Koscielny is currently injured. The crisis requires an immediate solution to end it.
- The winger position. Aubameyang is an experienced and versatile forward, yet he’s ageing like Mkhitaryan. Ramsey and Özil can feature as wingers, which isn’t their natural positions. A young attacker should be sought for bolstering their offence.
- The midfield position. Xhaka is consistent in being awful these days with Ramsey rumoured to depart from the Gunners squad. Guendouzi is yet to be a mature CM. A solid midfielder like Patrick Vieira in the past is needed.
- The playmaker position. Mkhitaryan is okay but with Özil sometimes disappear in big games, I’m surprised that no one’s mentioning that Arsenal would need someone like Santi Cazorla, who made things easier when he’s present.
- The left-back position. Monreal is a solid LB but he’s ageing. Kolašinac is an “up to standard” player but sadly, is injury-prone. Ainsley Maitland-Niles is an adaptable player who plays better in midfield. Another headache for Emery.
So what are the possible options to be explored by the Arsenal transfer department? In my opinion, they are, but not limited to:
- Jamaal Lascelles. The captain of Newcastle United is both a solid defender and a leader in the dressing room, which is something missing in the Arsenal XI. They can also consider promoting Julio Pleguezuelo, another player who shines under club legend Freddie Ljungberg’s guidance.
- While someone like Ousmane Dembélé or Neymar Jr. (in your dreams, Alf) is a good choice, it may be seen as “pricey”. Giving the youngsters, like Reiss Nelson (upon his loan return from Germany), Eddie Nketiah and Emile Smith-Rowe the chances can be seen as an alternative.
- I sincerely hope that Arsenal will consider Casemiro, who’s an important yet underrated element of the Real Madrid squad. The same goes for Taulant Xhaka, who’s a Basel player. I’m not sure if he’s a good pick for the Gunners but I believe that Granit can do better if his brother is there.
- Arsenal missed out German “wonder kids” Max Meyer and Leon Goretzka who are now playing for Crystal Palace and Bayern Munich respectively. Christian Pulisic may be the answer that Arsenal want but the question is, will the scouts pay attention to him?
- Layvin Kurzawa can be a nice addition to the Arsenal team as he understands Emery’s tactics. On the other hand, Jordi Alba, who’s currently out of favour under Ernesto Valverde, is another feasible bet for the Spaniard.
Sure, Arsenal has star players in their team (at least Özil is still there). But in the end, I hope that Stan Kroenke, Ivan Gazidis and Unai Emery will come to terms and understand that the club needs a huge revamp of the squad.
Just hope that Kroenke won’t become a Scrooge in the times of team rebuilding and get Emery the cash he deserves. After all, money can be mighty if it’s used in the right areas (looking at you, Manchester City).