I still could vividly remember last season, Manchester City needed just a win in the Manchester derby to clinch their title. The Cityzens could have the chance to celebrate in front of United supporters. However, Chris Smalling’s 69th-minute winner delayed the title celebrations of the home side for a bit.
Fast forward to November 2018. Manchester City are 2nd of the Premier League table while United are 7th. While City are on an unbeaten run like table-toppers Liverpool, United lost three matches against Brighton, Tottenham and West Ham with the fans chanting “Mourinho Out” outside Old Trafford.
Red versus blue. Mourinho versus Guardiola. Manchester United versus Manchester City. It is no longer just a matter of points and glory. It’s all about the bragging right of the winner of the Premier League fixture.
You’re in the right place for our analysis of the match of the century, with the details of the match itself, records last year and most importantly, score predictions by our team.
Details of the match
Teams: Manchester City vs Manchester United
Kick-off time: 11 November 2018, 1730 BST
Ground: Etihad Stadium, Manchester, UK
Kits: Home (blue by Nike) vs Home (red and black by Adidas)
Referee: Anthony Taylor (Manchester)
Injury list: De Bruyne, Bravo, Mangala (Manchester City); Dalot (Manchester United)
Form of both clubs
- 3-0 away win against Shakthar Donetsk in the Champions League (D. Silva, B. Silva, Laporte)
- 1-0 away win against Tottenham in Premier League (Mahrez)
- 2-0 home win against Fulham in the Carabao Cup (Díaz x2)
- 6-1 home win against Southampton in the Premier League (Hoedt OG, Agüero, D. Silva, Sterling x2, Sané; Ings PEN)
- 6-0 home win against Shakthar Donetsk in the Champions League (D. Silva, G. Jesus x3, Sterling, Mahrez)
- 2-2 away draw against Chelsea in the Premier League (Rüdiger, Barkley; Martial x2)
- 1-0 home loss against Juventus in the Champions League (Dybala)
- 2-1 home win against Everton in the Premier League (Pogba, Martial; Sigurðsson PEN)
- 2-1 away win against Bournemouth (Wilson; Martial, Rashford)
- 2-1 away win against Juventus in the Champions League (C. Ronaldo; Mata, Sandro OG)
Score predictions and analysis:
- “Manchester City just can’t stop scoring. However, Manchester United displayed an awesome mentality to fight back. While it’ll be a possible call for a draw (or a high-scoring game), Manchester should be red if they United can keep it up. 2-1 United.” (Alfred)
- “Both sides have the potential to score goals, we know that. City are top of the division, in good form and with 33 goals in 11 games – it’s hard to see them losing. United haven’t been great this season and I don’t see them preventing another derby loss. City to win it, but not by much. 3-2 City” (Oliver)
- “City are on a roll with six goals in two games. Nothing, not even a rejuvenated United side is gonna stop them. 2-0 City” (Dan)
As always, “no score should be treated as certain before the final whistle is blown”. Also, here’s a friendly reminder for all of you: gamble wisely if you really want to place bets on football matches, or you’ll be in deep regret later.